A musical director is a person responsible for all the vocal and instrumental components within a musical or play.
- Consult and work with the Director.
- Run vocal and orchestra rehearsals.
- Responsible for the vocal and instrumental parts of the musical.
- Responsible for studying music prior to the start of practices. They must know the music in detail before they teach it to the cast. This includes rehearsing music with singers and musicians.
- Change the score, if necessary, to accommodate the ranges and talents of cast members.
- Teach the cast the songs, coach cast members, and direct the orchestra or band.
- Attend all auditions and assist the Director with casting decisions.
- Any issues within the cast should be dealt with by the Core Production Team (Director, Musical Director, Producer and Choreographer) with the support of the committee.
- Liaise with technical crew, as required.
- Work with the Producer with regards to the budget for band/orchestra members.
- Work with the Producer to create a rehearsal schedule and distribute to the band/orchestra.
- Select band/orchestra members
- Guide vocalists and instrumentalists with their parts in a musical.